Esther M. Brown was born about 1848 in Hastings Co., Ontario. She died 5 June, 1886 Michigan. According to online family trees she died 5 June, 1886 in Elmer, Sanilac, Michigan.
Esther (Ester) appears in the 1861 Canadian Census with, her father and mother. George and Esther Brown and other siblings. She is listed as being 13 years old born in Upper Canada. This means she was born about 1848.
Esther married to James Basna in Lapeer Co. (Lapper), Michigan, per the Michigan Marriages 1822-1995 at FamilySearch (GS#974258, pg. 217). Two marriage dates are given 1) 4 July, 1867 and 2) 1 January 1867. James may have been born in 1844 in Lapeer Co., and died about 1875 in Michigan. There is a James listed with a Peter and Mary Basna in Lapeer County in the 1860 census at the age of 6 years old. One of his brothers was named Horace and Esther and James named one of their sons Horace.
There is not much information about James Basna but a Civil War Pension Index has a James Basna in the 8 Co., 2 Battln on 17 April 1866 another index has Co. G, Reg 7 Michigan Infantry, Private, Union Army. (#M545 roll 3). There are several listings for a James Basna so it would mean narrowing down to the correct individual. A look at his Civil War pension might be a good idea. If the Peter Basna in Lapeer is his father that might help with military records. So far I have not found James death information.
I have tried the 1860 and 1870 U.S. Census but I cannot find him at this time. He is not listed with the Peter Basna family in 1860 but the other children are there.
James and Esther had the following children.
- Helena Basna born 14 January. 1869 in Michigan and died 15 February 1898 in Burnside, LaPeer Co., Michigan. Her married name was Brown. She is buried in the Fox Farm Cemetery in Burnside under the name Lena Brown. Find A Grave has a memorial for her with a death certificate posted which is very difficult to read. The links say that she was the daughter of George and Esther Brown but this is not true, she was their granddaughter. See below for a marriage for this person.
- Horace Basna was born 21 September, 1867 in Burnside, Lapeer Co., Michigan and it looks like he married a Florence Short on 20 June, 1922 in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, his first marriage. He was 50 years old and she was 43. His parents were listed as James Basna and Esther Brown. Florence was born about 1879 in Aurora, Illinois, to James Wilson and ____Smith. Florence was a widow.
There is a marriage of a Lena Basna to a Benjamin M. Brown on 4 April 1894 in Lapeer, Lapeer Co., Michigan. UPDATE 7/22/2016 – A descendant of Lena and Ben has contacted me. She has additional information on this whole family so leave a message and I will be happy to connect you to her.
Source: Basna to Brown, Marriage 4 April 1894, Lapeer, Lapeer, Michigan, Record#832, film 52, 1894 Horon to 1894 Ottawa.
Lena Basna born about 1869 in Michigan, marriage date of 4 April 1894 in Lapeer Co., Michigan, Burnside, father James Basna, mother Esther M. Brown,
spouse Benjamin M. Brown, age 25, born Canada, living in North Branch, father Peter Brown, mother Elizabeth Sammons.
Esther remarried on 6 July, 1875 in Burnside, Lapeer Co., Michigan to a Mark Robson. Mark was born in Canada in 1853 and died 19, July, 1912. He is buried in the Winterfield Twp. Cemetery in Clare County, Michigan, per Find A Grave where you will find a picture of his tombstone.
Death of Mark Robson
Mr. Mark Robson was born in Avon, Canada, September 11, 1853, and died at his home in Winterfield, Friday, July 19, 1912. He moved to Sanilac County, Michigan and settled on a farm, where he was later married to Esther Basney, and this was their home for twenty-one years. They then moved to Arenac County, where he resided for twelve years. In 1894 he was married to Rosetta Cole and to this union were born five children, two of whom are living, aged 7 and 10. He leaves a wife, seven children, five of whom were by his former marriage, and one brother to mourn his departure. The funeral was held at his late residence Sunday afternoon, Rev. C. A. Brown, officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the Winterfield cemetery. Those who attended the funeral from a distance were Mrs. Chas. Hubble and family, Mrs. Robert Bennett, for Clare, and Mr. and Mrs. Edward Jury of Boon. Source of newspaper unknown.
Mark and Esther’s Children:
- Lila Robson was born 16 March, 1876 in Michigan and married on 24 August, 1895 in Burnside to a Arthur M. Stiles. She died 20 January 1924.
- Albert Robson born about 1875 in Michigan.
- William Robson born about 1880 in Michigan.
- Frank Robson born about 1882 in Michigan.
- George Robson born 28 January 1884 in Michigan and died 21 September 1953. He married in Brown City, Michigan to Elva Mae Gould.
It is has been very difficult to get information on James Basna, Esther, Lena and Mark. The online family trees are very confusing so I advise caution. The records are not appearing as I would like and the search engines don’t like the last name of Basna. It would take a great deal of work to figure out this family and what happened searching census again, land records, estate, obituaries, cemetery records and more. Please double check all of the above information and keep a skeptical eye on it. I am not totally satisfied with the results.