The Archives of the Ontario has a First and Second Heir & Devisee Index under Philip Brown’s name. They have an index online at this link that you can search.
Philip was under Rawdon Township, Parcel 170:1868 #40-4671 RG 40, Film#MS 657, reel 89. You can find this at the Family History Library on film #1316021. The film reads Land Records 1796 to 1894, The handwriting is very difficult to read for this case file.
This is the petition of Philip Brown son of Thomas Brown and Mary (Johnston) Brown regarding the West half of lot No. 3 in the 8th Concession of Rawdon, Clergy Sale No. 5475. You will see mention of Mary Brown, Henry, and Thomas Brown.
These documents are listed in the order they appeared on the film. The handwriting is extremely difficult to read so I am not going to transcribe the various documents. If you would like a copy of this file, leave a comment at the end of this post.
Here is a summary of the contents of the case:
1. File Folder for Case #40-4671
2. 21. Notice Philip Brown Rec’d 8 January 1868 from Mr. [Megus] W1/2 Lot 3, 8 Con, Rawdon, 16 Jan. 1868 Allowed _______________
3. Affidavit of C.S. Coleman, Clerk of the Peace, County of Hastings 6 January 1868.
4. Affidavit of Adam [Amoy Raulvil], Solicitor for Claims, Dec. 6, 1867.
5. Application of Philip Brown W/12 Lot 3 8 Con Rawdon (signed below unreadable) a jacket cover. .
6. ______#186 Mary Brown to Philip Brown Quit Claim Deed, she makes her mark Mary Brown, Witnessed by Henry Brown. [second] January 1868.
7. ______Dec. 5, 1867, Henry Brown & Thomas Brown to Philip Brown Quit Claim Deed. Witnessed by Robert Mills, signed by Henry Brown and Thomas Brown.
8. _____W1/2 3 – I Con, Rawdon, faded writing at bottom unreadable, jacket
9. Affidavit #477 Dept. of Crown Lands, Toronto January 8, 1868, by I. O. [Tachutt] for the Com Cr Land
10. Thomas & Elizabeth Bateman to Philip Brown Quit Claim Deed ___ March 1866.
11. This indenture ___ March, 1866. Signed by Thomas and Elizabeth Batemen and witnesses by Wm. R. Parks, and G.H. Boulter.
12. Application of Philip Brown W1/2 Lot 3, 8 Con. Rawdon Affidavit of Henry Brown, Attorney ____________
13. Affidavit of Henry Brown, several pages handwritten.
14. Application of Philip Brown W 1/2 Lot 3, 8 Cons Rawdon, appt of Philip Brown, A _____________
15. Affidavit of Philip Brown, several pages handwritten
16. Application of Philip Brown….there are two from him.
These are receipts showing Thomas Brown, the father, paying for the land:
17. Receipt – Crown Land Agency, Belleville 19 February 1852, Received from Philip Brown eight pounds eight shillings ___pence seventh installment on West 1/2 lot 3 in 8th Conc. Rawdown Clergy Sale #5475 Sold to the late Brother Thomas, ___ [McAnnay]
18. Receipt Crown Lands Belleville Feb. 1856, Rec’d from Mrs. Thomas Brown his widow, the sum of seven pounds 13/curr being an installment on West 1/2 lot No. 3, in 8th Concession of Hungerford Clergy F McAnnany.
19. Receipt Crown Land Agency, Belleville 8 [July] 1847. Received from Thomas Brown the sum of six pounds, thirteen shillings and four pence, being the Ricaud Eustalands, W half of lot No. 3, 8 Conc of Rawdon, Clergy – F. McAnnany
20. No. 127, Crown Lands Belleville 4 June 1844 Thomas Brown the sum of twelve pounds ten shillings being first installment of West 1/2 Lot No. three in the Eighth Con, in the Township of Rawdon in the District of Victoria, Clergy Lands containing 100 acres sold to him at the sale of 12/4 shillings per acre F McAnnay Dist. Agt. The _____ payable in nine equal yearly instalments with interest from this date.
21. No. 189, $55 Bank of Montreal, Belleville, 9 March 1866 Received from Thomas Brown fifty five dollars for account of the Dept. of Crown Lands, _____West half Lot No. three in the Eighth conc. of Township of Rawdon, ______Acct. sign by _____________
22. $90.00 Original for the Depositor, Bank of Upper Canada, Belleville, 17 Nov. 1859, Received from Thomas Brown, Ninety & no/100 dollars We 1/2 Lot No. 3, 8th Con. Township of Rawdown, A. J, Cameron…
23. Principal 12 . 60 . 0 – Interest 2 . 10. 0 = $15.00 Crown Lands Agency Belleville 2 October 1849 Received from Mr. Thomas Brown the sum of Fifteen Pound, Currency, being the 3 and fourth instalment on West half lot No 3 in 8th Concession of Rawdon. Clergy Sale No. 5475 F. McAnnay Dist. Agt.
This is almost like getting a probate/estate file of your ancestor and it features the four children of Thomas and Mary (Johnston) Brown: Henry, Elizabeth, Phillip and Thomas. Thomas will be discussed in the next post. I believe it also mentions Thomas’ brother Philip. It does not include the Vance children which is interesting. It also confirms that Mary, the mother, was still living in 1868.
Once again if you would like a copy of the file leave me a comment and we will connect.